Blockport is a cryptocurrency trading platform that was acquired by BUX in early 2020. It's the easy and affordable way to invest in digital currencies. With fees as low as €0, you can enter the crypto market with any amount. It allows traders from across the world to buy and sell a number of different cryptocurrencies.
I was hired as a freelancer to ideate new social sharing features and improve retention. I worked directly with the product owner to get an overview of past user research, validate hypotheses and test solutions.
I did define work, designed a flow, then designed my first concepts rapidly using the design system. The feature concepts were tested for desirability and usability. We applied the learnings of prototype validation into the MVP.
The goal was to improve retention on the platform, and increase social sharing behaviours. There was a lack of resources to provide a full academy and other community content, so the solution relied more on social trading, virality and using data to drive user action.
I started by creating an information architecture inclusive of the new user actions, to consider all the properties needed for the extra features. This provided an overview to the dev team what types of functionalities were available, their associated properties, actions, and where they would appear.
The main idea I followed was optimising the user experience for simplicity and interactivity. To come up with ideas, I organised my thoughts in a simple matrix, highlighting the existing problems and matching them with optimal behaviours. This approach helps me come up with potential ideas quickly and integrate them into design solutions.
I worked with the product owner to align on the most crucial features for the first release, we built a User Story Map and estimated tasks with the dev team.
Because I was working with an already established design system and complex app infrastructure, I started by creating a UI flow of navigation. This is to understand how to integrate the solution with the existing product.
On each trader profile, you have the option to copy their portfolio or start a 'trade duel' with them. The concept behind this was that you enter a mini trade competition with the other user over a period of 5-7 days. The one with the highest return on investment is the winner.
Hypothesis: We believe traders want to compete with other traders.
Hypothesis: Users who copy other high performing traders will have better ROI.
Hypothesis: Users who duel other traders will engage more with other users (messages, comments, trade volume) and have higher retention rates than non-duelers.
On each trader profile is an activity feed. You can view all the positions of that trader including the return on that position. Users are also able to leave comments on each trade. The activity feed can be toggled on/off in settings by adjusting your profile visibility.
Hypothesis: Users are more likely to copy and trust another trader if they can see that trader's activity feed.
Alongside reinforcing users with trader dashboards and activity feeds, we needed to remind users across the app. The goal of these updates was to increase the amount of copies on the platform.
Hypothesis: The addition of status updates will increase the amount of copies on the platform.
Notifications were essential to the overall user experience and feed features, and more or less the tracker for user behaviour. There were various types of notifications: core ones such as deposit/withdraw, trades, price alerts, and social sharing events. The goal was to improve our user's ROI, the main KPI for continued crypto trades.
Hypothesis: Including social sharing events in notifications will improve copier's ROI by 2%.
The goal for Inbox was to increase interaction between users. Moreso, the number of messages a trader sent to another trader was also a performance indicator of engagement for our experiments. I added a messaging solution to the prototype.
Hypothesis: We believe users are willing and want to communicate with other members directly.
Hypothesis: Users who message other users will be more active on the platform.
I also created components for data visualisations which were present in both 'My Trader Profile' and other trader's profiles. The most important was to get an overview of return on investment, and pairing this data with the activity feed.
Hypothesis: Traders like the idea of seeing the performance of other traders.
Hypothesis: Traders want to view data weekly and monthly.
Hypothesis: Traders want to see the trader's change in trader ranking.
Last but not least, I added settings for controlling your visibility and activity feed, as we wanted to validate the level of visibility of users. Most of these hypotheses would be validated qualitatively via a survey and a few interviews.
Hypothesis: Users are willing to keep their profile public, so long as they have control over their settings and no personal data is shared.
Hypothesis: Users are willing to enable activity feed, so long as they have control over their settings.
I worked with and modified components in a design system. Once the prototypes and screens were designed and usability testing was conducted, I prepped for implementation and updated the design system for handover to the dev team.
Users found the copy and duels features desirable. We obtained a list of learnings about what is relevant to trading and how users engage with each other.
For instance, adding comments per trade activity was overkill, comments in groups and profiles were more useful. The inbox system was also difficult to implement and thus added to the backlog. However, most users found the interactive features on profile pages satisfactory.